Friday, May 30, 2008

[Linux] I'm All Arch!

After 3 days of intensive Arch hacking, my Pentium 4 computer with a crappy Intel i810 Graphics Card and 1 GB of RAM is booting in 16 seconds, from GRUB to Compiz Fusion.

This is a vast improvement over Ubuntu (which took 40 seconds to get to GDM, never mind Compiz...)!

I am extremely excited about Arch. It's much faster (not only boot time, but general responsiveness) than your average distro and so far, it's community has proven itself to be far more resourceful, helpful, and encouraging than any other I have seen.

As soon as you post one question on their forums, you get 10 constructive responses in less than 30 minutes! Their wiki is also a great resource, their articles on Xorg and Gnome setup are better than every random howto I've seen combined!

Oh, and there's no doubt - Pacman KILLS apt. You can get from a installation CD to a fullscreen terminal to a complete Desktop Environment in under 30 minutes, mainly because Pacman just rocks. The user repositories and yaourt are pretty awesome too. You know my post about building bleeding compiz code from git? That can be done with this command;

$ yaourt -S compiz-git

Yeah. Yeah. That's kickass.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE!!! WE HAVE PKGBUILDS!!!

Screenshot: Cube
Screenshot: Expo
Screenshot: ArchMenu
Screenshot: Ease Of Arch
Screenshot: GimpIN'
Screenshot: Capless


More to come...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude that looks awesome. I might get arch but I think I'm going to go for Ubuntu first before arch.

D3M0L1$H3R said...

that does look interesting...
but i hope you mess with the icons soon, they're too plain.
good luck, maybe sometime later you can convince me to convert

mqr said...

Icons aside, I think I'm liking Gnome less and less the more I use it. I want to go with something lighter, but more accesible as well. There are too many menus in Gnome...